We’re Hiring! Grievance and Arbitration Services Support
Position Title: Grievance and Arbitration Services Support Position Type: Full-Time Term
Term Length: 1 year
Closing Date: August 11, 2017 at 4:00 PM
The Carleton University Academic Staff Association is the union representing over 850 faculty, instructors and
librarians at Carleton University. Originally founded in 1952 and certified in 1975, the Association is the oldest
union for academic staff in Ontario.
The Grievance and Arbitration Service Support person is responsible for providing direct legal support to the Senior Grievance and Arbitration Officer, CUASA’s in-house legal services professional, in the provision of grievance and arbitration services. The G&A support person will support by preparing case documents and maintaining files; assisting with legal research and maintaining jurisprudence indexes; assisting with arbitration preparation, or any other tasks as assigned
- Completion of a legal, paralegal or legal assistant program. Candidates for licensure acceptable.
- Minimum of two years recent experience working in a legal office providing direct support to legal service professionals or minimum two years experience in the providing legal services before courts, tribunals, boards or arbitrations. *Recent is defined as experience within the last four years.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Significant Knowledge of the Ontario Labour Relations Act, the Human Rights Code, the Occupational Health and Safety Act, other relevant legislation, regulations, and procedures governing unionized workplaces.
- Knowledge of practice directions for boards and tribunals.
- A thorough understanding of the grievance arbitration process.
- Must be able to communicate effectively in writing and verbally.
- Proficiency in using various computer programs and legal software systems.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively both independently and within a team.
- Demonstrated problem solving, planning and priority-setting skills.
- Ability to think critically and analyze research information.
- Demonstrated ability to manage legal files, records and tickler systems.
The base salary for this position is $48,060.00 (may be negotiated) per annum. The Association also provides a competitive benefit and pension plan.
The position is unionized with Unifor Local 567.
The Carleton University Academic Staff Association is an equal opportunity employer. Members of equity-seeking
groups are encouraged to self-identify. Women, workers of colour, workers with disabilities, gay,
lesbian, bisexual, queer and transgender workers and Aboriginal workers are encouraged to apply for this
Applications should be sent by August 11, 2017 at 4:00 PM (preferably electronically) to:
Carleton University Academic Staff Association
2006 Dunton Tower, 1125 Colonel By Drive
Ottawa, Ontario K1S 5B6
Fax: (613) 520-4426
Internal applicants may be given priority. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No
phone calls, please. A full job description may be found here: Job Description – Grievance and Arbitration Services Support