We’re hiring – Mobilization Assistant
May 13, 2021
Job Posting (Internal and External)
Position Title: Mobilization Assistant
Position Type: Full-Time Limited Term Appointment
Term Length: 6 months
Closing Date: May 28, 2021, at 4:00 PM
The Carleton University Academic Staff Association (CUASA) is the union representing over 950 faculty, instructors, and professional librarians at Carleton University. Originally founded in 1952 and certified in 1975, the Association is the oldest union for academic staff in Ontario.
CUASA is an equal opportunity employer. Members of equity seeking groups are encouraged to self-identify. Women, workers of colour, workers with disabilities, gay, lesbian, bisexual, queer and transgender workers and Indigenous workers are encouraged to apply for this position.
A full job description can be found below.
- a post-secondary degree or diploma;
- experience in mobilization related to collective bargaining or for social justice action is required;
- experience in labour relations is an asset;
- superior interpersonal and communication skills (written, verbal);
- strong information technology skills and familiarity with multiple social media such as but not limited to Facebook and Twitter;
- the ability to work both independently with minimum day-to-day supervision and as a co-equal team member.
The starting salary for this position is $52,020 per annum (under review).
The Association also provides a competitive benefit and pension plan. The position is unionized with Unifor Local 567. This competition is subject to the provisions of the CUASA–Unifor 567 Collective Agreement (under review).
Applications must be received by May 28, 2021, at 4:00 PM. All applications must include a cover letter and a CV. Only electronic submissions will be accepted. Please send applications to the attention of the Hiring Committee to email@example.com. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
Please note that while COVID-19 public health orders and regulations remain in place, the incumbent of this position will be expected to work remotely.
Preamble: The Mobilization Assistant’s main functions are to support the Member Services and Communications Officer (MSCO) in their duties related to collective bargaining negotiations between CUASA and Carleton University.
Reporting lines: Reports to and works under the general direction of the President or designate, normally via the Director.
The duties and responsibilities of the Mobilization Assistant are:
- Developing and coordinating events, campaigns, and other activities designed to increase member involvement in the Association and to increase non-member awareness of Association issues, in the time periods leading up to and during collective bargaining. The assistant will conduct these duties in consultation with the Director and the MSCO.
- Assisting the MSCO in designing and creating content for Association publications and campaigns designed to increase member involvement in the Association.
- Assisting the MSCO in maintaining constant social media communications in the periods before and during collective bargaining.
- As directed, and in consultation with the MSCO, preparing materials for information presentations to the CUASA membership regarding collective bargaining.
- As directed, and in consultation with the MSCO, assisting in maintaining communication with various committees on collective bargaining issues including leading up to a strike vote or any form of job action.
- Taking notes or meetings minutes at negotiations or other committee meetings.
- Assisting with other duties and responsibilities of the MSCO, as required.
- Any other related duties that the President may request.