Article IX: Elections and Vacancies
- Election of the President, Officers and Council Representatives shall be by simple plurality.
- The election of the President and Council Representatives shall be by electronic ballot of eligible members. Polls shall be open for a minimum of forty-eight (48) consecutive hours.
- Candidates shall have the opportunity to make a statement to the relevant constituency regarding their candidacy.
Elections and Vacancies – President
- Elections for President shall occur prior to the April General Meeting.
- Candidates for President shall be nominated from the membership of the Association. Nominations shall be in writing and shall require the signatures of two members of the Association.
- All members of the Association shall be eligible to vote for the position of President.
- Notice shall be sent to all members of CUASA in February of the year of election informing them of the vacancy and the procedure for nomination.
- Should the President be unable to complete their term, the Vice President shall become the President. Should the Vice President be unable, Council shall elect a replacement to complete the term.
Elections and Vacancies – Other Officers
- The Council shall elect the Officers of the Association with the exception of the President after the April General Meeting.
- The election of the President and the Vice President shall occur in alternating years.
- Notice shall be sent to all members of CUASA in February of each year informing them of Officer or Chair vacancies as well as the procedure for nomination. This may be combined with the notice for the Presidential election, if any.
- Elections shall take place by secret ballot at a duly constituted Council meeting.
- Should an Officer be unable to complete their term, Council shall appoint a replacement. The replacement will serve the remainder of the term of the Officer being replaced.
Elections and Vacancies – Council Representatives
- The members of each sub-unit shall elect Council Representatives.
- In February of each year, notice shall be sent to the members of units in which there is a Council Representative vacancy. The notice shall inform the members of the vacancy as well as the procedure for nomination.
- Each candidate for Council Representative shall be nominated from the membership of the appropriate sub-unit. Nominations shall be signed by two members of the Association in the sub-unit. Only members of the sub-unit shall be eligible to vote.
- The sub-unit, through the process in this Article, shall fill vacancies in the position of Council Representative. Sub-units shall be notified of vacancies at least twice per year.
- The term for members representing CUASA on university committees, with the exception of the Joint Committee on the Administration of the Agreement, shall be two (2) years, beginning on July 1 of the year of appointment. Members may be reappointed.